Near Platteville in Weld County, Colorado — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Built in 1835 by Louis Vasquez (later partner of Jim Bridger) and Andrew Sublette, this fort once was flanked by the South Platte River. In the spring of 1840 a Mackinaw boat was launched here loaded with 700 buffalo robes and 400 buffalo tongues. It reached St. Louis in 69 days.
Abandoned in 1842, the fort was ransacked by Indians. Later partly restored, it sheltered gold rush emigrants and troops during Indian troubles.
Fort Vasquez was reconstructed on its original site from adobe bricks made from remains of crumbling walls.
Weld County's so-called first court house stands near the gate.
Location. 40° 11.662′ N, 104° 49.244′ W. Marker is near Platteville, Colorado, in Weld County. Marker is on U.S. 85, in the median. Click for map. Marker
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Fort Vasquez (a few steps from this marker); Fort Vasquez Trading Post (within shouting distance of this marker).
More about this marker. This marker is inside of the fort walls.
Also see . . . Fort Vasquez, Colorado: Fur Trading along the South Platte. By the early part of the 20th century the adobe structure had fallen into ruins. Only small portions of the walls remained when the WPA began reconstruction of the fort in the late 1930's. Archaeological excavations in the 1960's unearthed artifacts as well as new information regarding the actual size and plan of the fort. (Submitted on October 13, 2015, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 193 times since then and 87 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.