Washington in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
óDiverse Visions/One Neighborhood ó
(1815-1864), born near Brookfield, NY, was an idealistic white teacher who came to Washington to teach African Americans. In 1853, with funding from northern abolitionists, she paid $4,000 for a three-acre site at 20th and N Sts. (Harriet Beecher Stowe, author of “Uncle Tomís Cabin” contributed $1,000.) The next year she opened Miss Minerís School for Colored Girls despite widespread opposition from the Washington establishment.
After her death the Miner Fund was created with $40,000 received from the sale of the three-acre lot. Interest on the money was used to operate a new three story 12-room building at 1613 P St. In 1889 the Miner School became part of the public school system, one of the earliest publicly supported teacher training institutions in the nation for African Americans. Miner Normal School became part of DC Teachers College (left) in 1955 and was folded into the University of the District of Columbia in 1974.
Edith Galt, the widow of a Washington jeweler, lived at 1308 20th St., across from the Heurich mansion, until December 18, 1915 when she was married there to President Woodrow Wilson. Image courtesy of The Historical Society of Washington, D.C.
Fire Fact | July 23, 1892
Box 325 (nearby) was sounded at 2:36 am for fire at the Heurich
Fire alarm boxes such as this one (originally painted red) were installed in the District after the Civil War. Telegraphs transmitted the box number (top) to a fire alarm center. This system was used until the 1970s when the boxes were converted to a telephone system. By the 1990s, the callbox system had been replaced by the 911 system and was abandoned.
Artist | Mamdou Cherif
Born in the Ivory Coast and raised in Paris, Cherifís artistry is a bridge between African art and European influences. The front of the sculpture shows two of the fountainís statues with figures walking and playing chess below; the back depicts the jetting water with two people emerging from its spray. The red letters represent the inscription on the fountainís base.
Erected by Art on Call. (Marker Number 326.)
Location. 38° 54.432′ N, 77° 2.696′ W. Marker is in Washington, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is at the intersection of 20th St. NW and N St. NW, on the right when traveling north on 20th St. NW. Click for map. Marker is
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Brewmaster's Castle (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line but has been reported missing); Henry Martyn Robert (about 600 feet away); Theodore Roosevelt (about 700 feet away); The first houses south and west of Dupont Circle (about 800 feet away); You are standing at the heart (about 800 feet away); John Witherspoon (approx. 0.2 miles away); The National Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Samuel Francis Du Pont (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Washington.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Education •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. Makali Bruton of San Salvador, El Salvador. This page has been viewed 207 times since then and 77 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by J. Makali Bruton of San Salvador, El Salvador. This page was last revised on September 7, 2016.