The Minneapolis & St. Louis R.R. #457
Minneapolis & St. Louis #457 History
1912 American Locomotive Company of Schenectady, N.Y. built the 457 for the Minneapolis and St. Louis Railroad at a cost of $18,456.03. The Consolidation type locomotive served 38 years for the M&StL, used in freight, passenger, and switching service throughout Minnesota and Iowa.
1950 M&StL was retired and sold to American Crystal Sugar Company, Mason City, IA.
1959 American Crystal Sugar Company retired the M&StL, giving it to the Children of Mason City, IA. The Mason City Noon Rotary Club sponsored moving it to East Park with the help of The Milwaukee R.R., and was named "Rotary Cannonball" in a contest won by 8 year old Marcia Combs.
1959-64 Leo T. Danehy, retired Great Western R.R. switchman, served as a dedicated attendant and educator for the Rotary Cannonball. In the ensuing years, rust, vandalism, and neglect took its toll on the engine.
2003 Louis "Gene" Green, historian, author, and railroad enthusiast, began work and started a volunteer campaign to restore and preserve the Rotary Cannonball. Contact Mason City City Hall to volunteer.
2005 The restored M&StL Rotary Cannonball, was dedicated in East Park. The "Roof the Cannonball" campaign began for provision of a shelter. Many grants and private donations funded the
2006 The first annual "Cannonball Day" was held the 4th Saturday of June in East Park to showcase and raise funds to maintain the Rotary Cannonball.
2007 The Train Shed shelter and brick platform for the 457 Rotary Cannonball was dedicated. Plans for the Interpretive Stand began.
2008 This Interpretive Stand was completed for use by the public for education and historical interest.
The Friends of the 457 work in conjunction with the Mason City Parks Department to care for this important display related to the heritage of Mason City.
Your generous donation or volunteer help will help with the restoration and preservation of the 457 Cannonball.
Weight - 169 Tons
Height - 15.5 Ft.
Length - 67 Ft.
Width - 10.5 Ft.
Coal - 12 Tons
Water - 6,500 Gal.
Operating Steam Pressure 185 Lbs.
Listen to the real sounds of a steam locomotive.
Press the RED button to hear the authentic 457 Nathan 5-chime whistle.
Press the GREEN button to hear the bell, steam and engine sounds.
Press the YELLOW button to hear the story of the M. & St. L. 457.
[Captions, from left to right, read]
The M. & St. L. 457 at the American Crystal Sugar Plant,
The Rotary Cannonball in 2002
M&StL Steam Locomotive 2-8-0 "Consolidation" being moved into East Park August 31, 1959
Minneapolis & St. Louis RR System Map - Circa 1952
The Minneapolis & St Louis 457 Cannonball in 2006
"Depot" style shelter and platform completed in 2007
Location. 43° 9.153′ N, 93° 10.971′ W. Marker is in Mason City, Iowa, in Cerro Gordo County. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: East Park, 802 East State Street, Mason City IA 50401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Railroad Development in Mason City (a few steps from this marker); Dr. George C. and Eleanor Stockman House (approx. half a mile away); Vietnam War Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Mason City Public Library (approx. ¾ mile away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away); Civil War Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Historic Park Inn Hotel and City National Bank (approx. 0.9 miles away); Mason City Area Veterans Monument (approx. one mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Mason City.
Also see . . .
1. History of the 457. (Submitted on October 14, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
2. Friends of the 457. (Submitted on October 14, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
3. Friends of the 457 at Facebook
4. The Minneapolis & St. Louis Railway, The Peoria Gateway. (Submitted on October 14, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Man-Made Features • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 162 times since then and 102 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.