“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Las Cruces in Dona Ana County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)

Miller Field Gates

Miller Field Gates Marker image. Click for full size.
By Wyndfire, October 17, 2015
1. Miller Field Gates Marker
There are three markers mounted on The Gates
Marker A:
Miller Field Gates
The New Mexico A&M senior class built these gates to Miller Field in 1924. The athletic field, stretching north and west from the gates was said to be the best in the territory. It had football, baseball, tennis, and track and field facilities. They were named for John Oliver Miller, who was a registrar and volunteer coach of the highly successful football team from 1901 to 1908. Football moved east to the Old Aggie Memorial Stadium (near the Business Complex) in 1950 and to the current stadium site in 1978.

Marker B:
Double Centennial Celebration
The Agricultural Experiment Station
the Genesis of NMSU research
donates this plaque
September 2, 1988
in celebration of the Hatch Act of 1887 and the Centennial of NMSU, and to commemorate the original 118 acres given by agriculturist Jacob Schaublin to establish the institution.

President Abraham Lincoln signed the Morrill Act of 1862 designating a grant of public land in every state or territory for the creation of an institution of higher learning emphasizing agriculture and the mechanical arts. When the federal government passed the Hatch Act of 1887, providing $15,000 to each land grant institution
Double Centennial Celebration Marker image. Click for full size.
By Wyndfire, October 17, 2015
2. Double Centennial Celebration Marker
agreeing to conduct agricultural research, the New Mexico Territorial Legislature created this land grant institution.

The Rodey Act of the New Mexico Territorial Legislature of 1889 established the College of Agriculture and the Agricultural Experiment Station. Because of the donation of 118 acres of land by Jacob Schaublin, and the legislative efforts of Judge John R. McFie, Las Cruces was designated the site of the New Mexico land grant institution.

Marker C:
Ranch of Jacob Schaublin
Total area 118 acres.

Erected 1999 by College of Agriculture and Home Economics New Mexico State University.
Location. 32° 16.926′ N, 106° 45.368′ W. Marker is in Las Cruces, New Mexico, in Dona Ana County. Marker is at the intersection of Espina Street and Horseshoe Street on Espina Street. Click for map. Located on the campus of New Mexico State University, outside of Skeen Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2900-3048 South Espina Street, Las Cruces NM 88001, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. María Gutiérrez Spencer (within shouting distance of this marker); Doña Ana County Courthouse (approx. 2.1 miles away);
Map of the Old Jacob Schaublin Farm image. Click for full size.
By Wyndfire, October 17, 2015
3. Map of the Old Jacob Schaublin Farm
Depicts the donated farm land in relation to several NMSU landmarks and buildings.
Doña Ana County Courthouse and Jail (approx. 2.3 miles away but has been reported missing); Civil War Battle of Mesilla & Major Lynde's Retreat (approx. 2.3 miles away); The Gadsden Purchase Celebration (approx. 2.4 miles away); Head Quarters, Dept. of New Mexico (approx. 2.4 miles away); All Servicemen and Women (approx. 2.4 miles away); Plaza de Mesilla (approx. 2.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Las Cruces.
Categories. AgricultureEducationSports
Miller Field Gates Markers image. Click for full size.
By Wyndfire, October 17, 2015
4. Miller Field Gates Markers
The Miller Field Gate monument, outside of Skeen Hall, NMSU.
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Wyndfire of Phoenix, Arizona. This page has been viewed 146 times since then and 77 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Wyndfire of Phoenix, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement