Mullin in Mills County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of the Settlement of Williams Ranch
(4 Miles South)
†††††The settlement began to decline when the railroad bypassed it in 1885. An outbreak of mob violence was quelled by the Texas Rangers in 1887. By 1892 the post office and all businesses had closed. Today the site is marked by the natural springs that attracted the original settlers and by Williams Ranch Cemetery, burial place of many pioneers and their descendants.
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number
Location. 31° 33.451′ N, 98° 39.677′ W. Marker is in Mullin, Texas, in Mills County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 183 and 6th Street, on the right when traveling east on U.S. 183. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mullin TX 76864, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mullin United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mills County State Bank (approx. 9.2 miles away); The Old Town Well (approx. 9.2 miles away); Confederate Veterans Memorial of Mills County (approx. 9.2 miles away); Mills County Courthouse (approx. 9.2 miles away); Mills County (approx. 9.2 miles away); Mills County Jail (approx. 9.2 miles away); The Goldthwaite Eagle (approx. 9.2 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Williams Ranch, Texas - Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on October 17, 2015.)
2. Williams Ranch, TX. From the Texas State Historical Associationís “Handbook of Texas Online”. (Submitted on October 17, 2015.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 164 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.