Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Danville in Montour County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The North Branch Canal

Pennsylvania Canal Network

 
 
The North Branch Canal Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, October 11, 2015
1. The North Branch Canal Marker
Inscription. In 1826 Daniel Montgomery, for whom the town of Danville was named, was elected president of the Board of Canal Commissioners. The North Branch Canal was surveyed in 1826-27 with construction of the canal between Northumberland and Nanticoke beginning in 1828. The first water was turned in during 1832 opening up a new transportation corridor.

At Danville the canal veered away from its normal place along the river to the center of town close to where the Montgomery family had mills. At one time Mill Street merchants advertised their business as north or south of the canal. Both cargo and packet boats, which had sleeping and dining accommodations traveled the canal attracting local residents and visitors to the dock with the sounding of a conch horn announcing their arrival. In 1849 more than 5,000 people greeted the troops returning home in packet boats from the War with Mexico.

The use of anthracite coal in the iron furnaces in Montour County and the rolling of the first T Rail for building railroads at the Montour Iron Works on October 8, 1845, contributed significantly to the success of the North Branch Canal. Thousands of tons of coal were shipped from the Wyoming coalfields to produce the rails, which in turn were shipped to markets by canal boats pulled by mules at 4 miles per hour. Ironically, as railroads were built, they

The North Branch Canal Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, October 11, 2015
2. The North Branch Canal Marker
became the preferred method of transportation, leading to the demise of the canal system.

(Inscription under the image in the left)
North Branch Canal near Danville
 
Erected by Susquehanna Greenway.
 
Location. 40° 57.737′ N, 76° 37.058′ W. Marker is in Danville, Pennsylvania, in Montour County. Marker is on Mill Street. Click for map. The marker is next to the Danville Municipal Building. Marker is in this post office area: Danville PA 17821, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Montour County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Home of First Iron "T" Rail in America (approx. 0.2 miles away); Montgomery House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Montour County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Iron Rails (approx. 0.2 miles away); Christopher Sholes (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pennsylvania Canal (approx. 6.5 miles away); Washingtonville Bridge (approx. 7.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Danville.
 
Categories. Settlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels

 
The North Branch Canal Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, October 11, 2015
3. The North Branch Canal Marker
Danville Municipal Building image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, October 11, 2015
4. Danville Municipal Building
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 130 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement