Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Midway in Liberty County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Growth Of Dorchester Academy 1874 - 1930s

Dorchester Academy

 

—Museum Of African American History —

 
The Growth Of Dorchester Academy 1874- 1930s marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, July 2008
1. The Growth Of Dorchester Academy 1874- 1930s marker
Inscription. In 1872, African Americans from Liberty County began another letter writing campaign; this time for a teacher to replace Eliza Ann Ward. They requested that their next teacher be both a teacher and a minister. In the spring of 1874, the community finally received news that the American Missionary Association (AMA) had hired Floyd Snelson as their new teacher and minister for the Midway Congregational Church. By the end of the 1874 school term, two hundred and seventy pupils had attended. The school had grown to be so large that nearly sixty students were instructed outside the classroom. In September of 1877, Snelson was sent to Africa as a missionary by the AMA. When he returned, he resumed his position as minister but not as principal because the AMA had decided that the job now required a full-time employee.

In 1878, the old one-room schoolhouse was rebuilt as a two-room school. It opened as Dorchester Academy in 1879. Expansion rapidly continued and by 1896, the thirty-acre campus included the school building, teacher's home, girls' and boys' dormitories, dining hall, kitchen, laundry and industrial buildings. In 1896, Sarah Morrison and Frank C. Daniels were the first graduates of Dorchester Academy. They were also the first high school graduates in all of Liberty County.

Lower middle picture: Floyd Snelson
The Growth Of Dorchester Academy 1874- 1930s marker image. Click for full size.
By Dorchester Academy Marker
2. The Growth Of Dorchester Academy 1874- 1930s marker
Marker pictures
circa 1880
Upper right picture: Principal J. Stevens and the 1907 Dorchester Academy Staff
Middle right picture: Boys Dormitory circa 1900
Lower right picture : Water Tanks built 1890-93 Held the water supply for the campus circa 2004
 
Erected 2004 by City of Flemington.
 
Location. 31° 48.076′ N, 81° 27.895′ W. Marker is in Midway, Georgia, in Liberty County. Marker can be reached from 8787 East Oglethorpe Highway (U.S. 84) near Lewis Frasier Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Midway GA 31320, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Elizabeth Moore at Dorchester Academy 1925-1932 (a few steps from this marker); Dorchester Academy (within shouting distance of this marker); Dorchester Academy Boy's Dormitory (within shouting distance of this marker); We want a school, we need a Teacher 1870-1872 (within shouting distance of this marker); Midway Congregational Church 1872 - Present (within shouting distance of this marker); Working Together at the Dorchester Cooperative Center 1930s-1940s (within
Dorchester Academy water fountain remains from a razed building image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
3. Dorchester Academy water fountain remains from a razed building
shouting distance of this marker); The Story of the "Bell" at Dorchester Academy (within shouting distance of this marker); Liberty County Citizen's Council 1946 - 1953 (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Midway.
 
More about this marker. Upper right hand corner label reads:
This sign was made possible through the financial support of the City of Flemington with great places to "stay" in Liberty County.
 
Categories. African AmericansEducation
 
The Growth Of Dorchester Academy 1874 - 1930s Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, February 18, 2011
4. The Growth Of Dorchester Academy 1874 - 1930s Marker
From near the Dorchester Academy 'entrance gates'. US-84 to the right.
1890-93 Water Tanks image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, February 18, 2011
5. 1890-93 Water Tanks
also shown in the lower right picture on the marker.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,221 times since then and 14 times this year. Last updated on , by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   3. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   4, 5. submitted on , by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement