“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Goldthwaite in Mills County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Mills County State Bank

Mills County State Bank Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, October 6, 2015
1. Mills County State Bank Marker
Inscription. Mills County experienced much growth from 1887 to 1917 after the establishment of the Gulf, Colorado, and Santa Fe Railway in the region. As Goldthwaite became the county seat and center, locals saw the need for a bank. On June 4, 1888, D.H. Trent opened a private bank on the east corner of Fisher at 4th streets with deposits of $4,168.61 and stock account of $11,449.50. Four years later, First National Bank of Goldthwaite was organized with W.E. Miller as president. The stockholders of the bank voted to liquidate in 1901, and the building along with the furniture was sold to Trent. In 1908, Charter No. 369 was granted at the first meeting of the stockholders of Trent State Bank under which the bank operates today. Trent State Bank was located on the west corner of the same intersection of Fisher at 4th streets. Directors voted on January 29, 1952 to change the name to Mills County State Bank. In 1960, the board of directors made plans for the building of modern banking quarters. The new facilities, which included a drive thru lane, were constructed at 1017 Parker Street.
     On October 10, 2008, staff, officers, directors, stockholders, many banking dignitaries, friends and customers of the bank attended a celebration at Mills County State Bank that marked 120 years in banking and 100 years as a state chartered bank. Over the years,
Mills County State Bank Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, October 6, 2015
2. Mills County State Bank Marker
View to west along 4th Street
the bank has expanded, modernized, and opened other offices in Brownwood, Early, and Hamilton. It is commended for its perseverance through difficult times and is considered a loyal advocate of the communities it serves.
175 Years of Texas Independence • 1836 2011

Erected 2011 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16895.)
Location. 31° 27.003′ N, 98° 34.228′ W. Marker is in Goldthwaite, Texas, in Mills County. Marker is at the intersection of Parker Street and 4th Street, on the right when traveling south on Parker Street. Click for map. Marker is located at southwest corner of intersection next to the bank’s drive thru lanes. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1017 Parker St, Goldthwaite TX 76844, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Confederate Veterans Memorial of Mills County (within shouting distance of this marker); The Old Town Well (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mills County Courthouse (about 300 feet away); Mills County (about 400 feet away); Mills County Jail (about 400 feet away); The Goldthwaite Eagle
Mills County State Bank image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, October 6, 2015
3. Mills County State Bank
At southwest corner of intersection of Parker St and 4th St
(about 500 feet away); Dam and Well (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mills County World War II and Korea-Vietnam Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Goldthwaite.
Categories. Industry & Commerce
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 109 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement