“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Lebanon in Russell County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)

Glade Hollow Fort

Glade Hollow Fort Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, October 18, 2015
1. Glade Hollow Fort Marker
Inscription. A short distance south stood Glade Hollow Fort, garrisoned by twenty-one men in 1774. From Witten’s to Blackmore’s, these Clinch Valley forts were the frontier defenses in Dunmore’s War, 1774.
Erected 1932 by Conservation and Development Commission. (Marker Number X-8.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia, Clinch River Forts Circa 1774 marker series.
Location. 36° 53.703′ N, 82° 7.083′ W. Marker is near Lebanon, Virginia, in Russell County. Marker is on Fincastle Road (Virginia Route 71) just west of Clydesway Road, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lebanon VA 24266, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Russell Courthouse (approx. 2.2 miles away); Jessee’s Mill (approx. 2.2 miles away); Old Russell County Courthouse (approx. 8 miles away); Russell’s Fort (approx. 8.7 miles away); Elk Garden Fort (approx. 8.9 miles away but has been reported missing); Frances Dickenson Scott Johnson (approx. 9.1 miles away); Dorton’s Fort (approx. 10.8 miles away); King's Mountain Men (approx. 14.8 miles away).
Regarding Glade Hollow Fort.
Glade Hollow Fort Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, October 18, 2015
2. Glade Hollow Fort Marker
This fort is also known as Fort Christian.
Also see . . .  Frontier Forts in Southwestern Virginia. 1968 historical sketch by Emory L. Hamilton. Excerpt: “Fort Christian, better known as Glade Hollow Fort lies between Dickensonville and Lebanon (Russell Co., Va.) on Cedar Creek. It is hard to determine just who owned the land when the fort was erected in 1774, as no one had deeds to lands prior to the sitting of the Commissioners in 1781, only warrants, and these warrants changed hands and were assigned many times to others before actual recording took place. Some available data indicates that the land may have been in possession of one James Smith who seems to disappear from the records after 1777. This assumption is based upon letters written by Colonel William Christian and Arthur Campbell, the former being on the Clinch at this time supervising the erection of the forts.” (Submitted on October 22, 2015.) 
Categories. Forts, CastlesSettlements & SettlersWars, US Indian
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 182 times since then and 130 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement