Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Elk Garden in Russell County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Elk Garden Fort

 
 
Post of Missing Elk Garden Fort Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, October 18, 2015
1. Post of Missing Elk Garden Fort Marker
Inscription. This fort was one of a string of defensive posts and protective forts that served the community of Elk Garden and isolated homes in the Clinch Valley in the 18th century. There is no known date of construction, but it is believed to have been a large and well-stockaded fort. An important outpost during the Indian wars of the frontier period, it was garrisoned by 1774 under the command of Captain John Kinkead. The site was later the homestead of Governor Henry Carter Stuart (1914–1918).
 
Erected 1989 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number X-9.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia, Clinch River Forts Circa 1774 marker series.
 
Location. Marker has been confirmed missing. It was likely located near 36° 56.191′ N, 81° 57.999′ W. Marker was near Elk Garden, Virginia, in Russell County. Marker was at the intersection of U.S. 19 and Hayters Gap Road (Virginia Route 80), on the right when traveling north on U.S. 19. Click for map. Marker was in this post office area: Rosedale VA 24280, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Frances Dickenson Scott Johnson (approx. 3.3 miles away); Russell Courthouse
Location of Missing Elk Garden Fort Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, October 18, 2015
2. Location of Missing Elk Garden Fort Marker
(approx. 6.7 miles away); Smith’s Fort (approx. 7.9 miles away); Glade Hollow Fort (approx. 8.9 miles away); Jessee’s Mill (approx. 11 miles away); Saltville (approx. 11.7 miles away); Donald W. Tendick, Sr., Memorial (approx. 13.5 miles away); Buchanan-Blakemore House (approx. 13.8 miles away).
 
More about this marker. This marker replaced an earlier marker with the same title and number that read, “A short distance south stood the fort commanded by John Kinkead, 1774. It was then the center of Elk Garden community, later the homestead of William A. Stuart. The house was built near the site of the fort.”
 
Regarding Elk Garden Fort. Elk Garden is about 3 miles south then west by road. Take Hayters Gap Road (Route 80) here and turn right at Elk Garden Road (Route 656).
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesNative AmericansSettlements & SettlersWars, US Indian
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 161 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of the marker when it was standing • Photos of Governor's Stuart's home. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement