Spencerville in Leeds and Grenville Counties, Ontario — Central Canada
The Founding of Spencerville
By 1821 Peleg Spencer was operating a grist-mill and sawmill on the South Nation River on a Clergy Lot he had leased in 1817, having previously owned a sawmill on the site from 1811 till 1814. David Spencer, son of Peleg, took over the mills in 1822 and patented the mill lot in 1831. By 1828 an inn was located near "Spencer's Mills" and a settlement developed. David Spencer had a village plot surveyed in the 1840's and a post-office, called "Spencerville", had been opened by October, 1846. In 1851 the village number to some 250 inhabitants with a tannery and other industries, as well as Spencer's mills, which were later rebuilt in stone across the river.
Erected by Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario.
Location. 44° 50.536′ N, 75° 32.877′ W. Marker is in Spencerville, Ontario, in Leeds and Grenville Counties. Marker is at the intersection of Centre Street and Murray Street, on the right when traveling west on Centre Street. Click for map. Marker is in front of the Township hall of Edwardsburgh/Cardinal. Marker is at or near this postal address: 18 Centre Street, Spencerville, Ontario K0E 1X0, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 16 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Roebuck Indian Village Site Eastern Ontario's First Court House and Gaol (approx. 12.6 kilometers away); Johnstown 1789 (approx. 12.6 kilometers away); The Battle of the Windmill (approx. 14.3 kilometers away); a different marker also named The Battle of the Windmill (approx. 14.3 kilometers away); Welcome to the Site of The Battle of the Windmill (approx. 14.3 kilometers away); The Founding of Cardinal (approx. 14.4 kilometers away); Fort Wellington (approx. 14.7 kilometers away).
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 124 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.