Maitland in Leeds and Grenville Counties, Ontario — Central Canada
Built as a house in the 1850s, this sturdy stone building was altered in 1877 by John Dumbrille, when he relocated his general store from across the street in front of his residence "Sprucelawn". In 1879 he was appointed Maitland's postmaster and that office was moved here as well. Four generations of the Dumbrille family remained as shopkeepers and postmasters in this building until 1969 when a new post office was built elsewhere.
Location. 44° 38.133′ N, 75° 36.749′ W. Marker is in Maitland, Ontario, in Leeds and Grenville Counties. Marker is on Provincial Highway 2 near Church Street, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Maitland, Ontario K0E 1P0, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Founding of Maitland (a few steps from this marker); Lieut.-Col. Thain Wendell MacDowell, V.C., D.S.O. (within shouting distance of this marker); Dorothy Martha Dumbrille (within shouting distance of this marker); St. James's Masonic Lodge No. 74 (about 180 meters away, measured in a direct line); Pointe Au Baril (approx. 0.3 kilometers St. James Church 1826 (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); War of 1812 (approx. 2.4 kilometers away in the U.S.); Homewood (approx. 3 kilometers away). Click for a list of all markers in Maitland.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 202 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.