Maitland in Leeds and Grenville Counties, Ontario — Central Canada
St. James Church 1826
Among Augusta Township's earliest settlers were a number of Anglican Loyalists who, by 1785, we're holding services in private houses. The first resident missionary, the Reverend John Bethune, was appointed to this area in 1814. Reverend Robert Blakey served the parish from 1821 until his death in 1858, and during his incumbency construction of St. James Church was begun in 1826. A pleasing example of early Gothic Revival architecture, this structure was built by John Shephard, a local mason, on land donated by a parishioner, George Longely. It was consecrated in 1830 by the Rt Rev. Charles James Stewart, Bishop of Québec, and it remains largely unaltered from its original design.
Erected by Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario.
Location. 44° 38.298′ N, 75° 36.834′ W. Marker is in Maitland, Ontario, in Leeds and Grenville Counties. Marker is on Church Street 0.3 kilometers north of Ontario Route 2, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 20 Church Street, Maitland, Ontario K0E 1P0, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. James's Masonic Lodge No. 74 (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); Dorothy Martha Dumbrille Lieut.-Col. Thain Wendell MacDowell, V.C., D.S.O. (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Pointe Au Baril (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); The Founding of Maitland (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Dumbrille's Store (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); War of 1812 (approx. 2.6 kilometers away in the U.S.); Homewood (approx. 2.8 kilometers away). Click for a list of all markers in Maitland.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 139 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.