Cobourg in Northumberland County, Ontario — Central Canada
Church of St. Peter
This Anglican church was begun in 1851 to replace a frame building erected in 1820. Distinguished by the stepped battlements of its fašade, the new building was designed in early Gothic Revival style by the noted architect Kivas Tully, who was later responsible for Victoria Hall, Cobourg. After the plan was altered, St. Peter's was constructed by the contractor, Samuel Retallick, and gradually encased the earlier church, which was dismantled. On October 15, 1854, this building was opened for service by its rector, the Venerable Alexander N. Bethune (1800-79), Archdeacon of York and an outspoken advocate of Church of England rights in Canada. St. Peter's was later enlarged by extending the chancel, and in 1893–95 the interior was extensively renovated.
Erected 1979 by Ontario Heritage Foundation.
Location. 43° 57.656′ N, 78° 9.691′ W. Marker is in Cobourg, Ontario, in Northumberland County. Marker is at the intersection of King Street East (Ontario Route 2) and Church Street, on the left when traveling east on King Street East. Click for map. Marker is to the right of the main entrance. Marker is in this post office area: Cobourg, Ontario K9A 3V2, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this Ryerson Walk (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); William Weller (about 150 meters away); Victoria Hall (approx. half a kilometer away); a different marker also named Victoria Hall (approx. half a kilometer away); Victoria College (approx. half a kilometer away); Cobourg and Peterborough Railway (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); The Founding of Cobourg (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); Marie Dressler (approx. 1.1 kilometers away). Click for a list of all markers in Cobourg.
Also see . . . Our Past. St. Peter's Anglican Church presents its history. On its founding: The Church of St. Peter has been a major feature of the Cobourg scene for nearly two centuries. It is one of the oldest churches in Upper Canada, having been founded in 1819 before the area even had an official name. The first rector, Rev. William Macauley, was appointed under the jurisdiction of the Diocese of Quebec. The first church consisted of a 2,300 sq. ft wooden building on the current site.... (Submitted on November 3, 2015.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 146 times since then and 71 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.