Birthplace of Boys and Girls Rural Clubs
Keokuk County, Iowa
In 1904, Cap E. Miller, Superintendent of Schools in Keokuk County with the help of many citizens, organized Iowa's first county Boys' Agricultural Club and Girls' Home Culture Club. This was one of the pioneering developments that grew into the 4-H Clubs of the United States of America.
Commemorating the 50th Anniversary of the above event, in 1954 A.D.
Location. 41° 20.004′ N, 92° 12.295′ W. Marker is in Sigourney, Iowa, in Keokuk County. Marker is on Main Street (Iowa Route 149) south of Washington Street, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is on the NW grounds of the county courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 South Main Street, Sigourney IA 52591, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Veterans Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Civil War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Court of Keokuk County and Keokuk County Court House (within shouting distance of this marker).
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . .
1. History of 4-H. (Submitted on November 2, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
2. Keokuk County, Iowa, 4-H History. (Submitted on November 2, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Education • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 136 times since then and 79 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.