Galt in Sacramento County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
St. Luke's Episcopal Church
Built 1884 ˜ organized as an
Episcopal Mission 1901
100 yr. Celebration 12/16/84
Erected by Galt Historical Society.
Location. 38° 15.166′ N, 121° 18.461′ W. Marker is in Galt, California, in Sacramento County. Marker is at the intersection of 3rd Street and B Street, on the right when traveling south on 3rd Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Galt CA 95632, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. George A. Lippi / Joseph F. Smith (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Don Ray Building (about 700 feet away); Galt Water Tower (approx. ¼ mile away); San Joaquin Valley College (approx. 7.1 miles away); Salem School Bell (approx. 7.4 miles away); City Hall, Fire House and Jail (approx. 8.3 miles away); Woman's Club of Lodi (approx. 8.3 miles away); Laura de Force Gordon (approx. 8.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Galt.
1. Galt First Church
The third church in Galt was the First Congregational Church on the corner of 3rd and B streets. It was the result of
The cornerstone was laid in May, 1884. The bell, pews, millwork and stained glass windows were shipped from San Francisco. The body of the church was 48 feet long, 32 feet wide and 30 feet high. The tall slender steeple is 84 feet high. One window was donated in memory of Maude Harvey, infant daughter of Oved and Susan Harvey.
In 1901, a small group asked to use the church for Episcopal services twice a month, and until 1914, both Congregational and Episcopal services were held there.
In 1914, the Mission Guild was formed. Members of this organization helped raise money for the church through their annual bazaar, which is still held today.
Sometime in the early 1920's the church changed it's name from First Congregational to St. Luke's Episcopal Church. In 1923, it established the Guild Hall, a church social hall, in a building on property donated by Mr. and Mrs. Hull McClaughry. This property was sold to the Galt Fire District where a firehouse was constructed. A new parish hall was erected in back of the church, with a prayer garden being planned between the buildings.
Among the pioneer names listed in the church roster are McFarland, Harvey, Orr, and Sawyer. St. Luke's
— Submitted November 3, 2015.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 111 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.