Sigourney in Keokuk County, Iowa — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Court of Keokuk County and Keokuk County Court House
The first court, Judge Joseph Williams presiding, convened in Sigourney on July 1, 1844, in a log cabin 12 feet by 16 feet, built by S. A. James, Clerk of the District Court, on the south side of the Public Square, on Lot 4 of Block 4.
Keokuk County Court House
1844 - 1845
The first court house was built in Sigourney during the years 1844-1845. The building was 20 feet by 24 feet, built of logs, and was located on the north side of the Public Square, on Lot 5 of Block 5.
Erected 1926 by James McElwee Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 41° 19.983′ N, 92° 12.257′ W. Marker is in Sigourney, Iowa, in Keokuk County. Marker is on Jefferson Street north of Marion Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is on the SE grounds of the county courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 South Main Street, Sigourney IA 52591, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Civil War Memorial (within shouting Birthplace of Boys and Girls Rural Clubs (within shouting distance of this marker); Veterans Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line).
Also see . . .
1. Welcome to Keokuk County, Iowa. (Submitted on November 3, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Judge Joseph Williams. (Submitted on November 3, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Politics • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 130 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.