Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Myers in Lee County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Fire Control in Edisonís Time... and Today

 
 
Fire Control in Edisonís Time Ö and today Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, October 10, 2015
1. Fire Control in Edisonís Time Ö and today Marker
Inscription. In 1909, a major project was undertaken to install a fire control system at the Edison estate. Water for the system was supplied from a well on the east side of the property (across McGregor Boulevard) and directed to three large tanks located on the west side of the property. From there, it was piped to five different locations via a 5-inch underground water main with 3-inch branch pipes.

A standpipe at each location had a hose rack and a reel with 100 feet of 2-inch hose. The sandpipes were located at:

. The Main House
. The Guest House
. The Caretakerís Cottage
. The Original 1886 laboratory
. A location on the east side of McGregor Boulevard

Several of these standpipes can still be seen today, including those at the Main House and Guest House.

Fire control was enhanced in 1919 when five portable Pyrene fire extinguishers were installed inside of the following areas, and chemical extinguishers hung outside of:
. Thomas and Mina Edisonís bedroom
. Sitting Room
. Dining room
. Kitchen
. Caretakerís Cottage garage bay

Today, historic structures at the Edison and Ford Winter Estates are outfitted with a state of the art VESDA (Very Early Smoke Detection Apparatus) system, along with a Borrell Mist system.

When fire of smoke is detected,
Portable fire extinguishers provided additional fire image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, October 10, 2015
2. Portable fire extinguishers provided additional fire
control at the Edison estate beginning in 1919.
tiny water droplets and pressurized gas are delivered. As the droplets contact fire, they convert to steam, absorbing energy from the surface of burning materials. As the steam expands, it lowers the fire temperature and prevents oxygen from reaching the fire, which smothers it.

In addition, the porches of the Edison houses feature a water sprinkler system to extinguish any fire outside, along with portable fire extinguishers.
 
Location. 26° 38.067′ N, 81° 52.804′ W. Marker is in Fort Myers, Florida, in Lee County. Marker can be reached from McGregor Boulevard south of Larchmont Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. The marker is inside the Edison & Ford Winter Estates. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2340 McGregor Blvds, Fort Myers FL 33901, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Inside the Ford Home (here, next to this marker); Edisonís “Florida Paradise” (here, next to this marker); Clara Fordís Michigan Rose Garden (here, next to this marker); Orchid Lane and Friendship Walk (here, next to this marker); Edison Estate Restoration and Rebirth (here, next to this marker); Edison Family Home Seminole Lodge
A fire standpipe and hose located on the Main House porch date to 1909. image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, October 10, 2015
3. A fire standpipe and hose located on the Main House porch date to 1909.
(here, next to this marker); Henry Ford (here, next to this marker); Henry Ford's Florida Estate (here, next to this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Fort Myers.
 
Also see . . .  Edison & Ford Winter Estates. (Submitted on November 6, 2015.)
 
Categories. Man-Made Features
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 67 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement