Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Everglades in Collier County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Everglades Community Church

Established 1926

 
 
Everglades Community Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, October 3, 2015
1. Everglades Community Church Marker
Inscription. This building was completed by April 1940 on land donated in May 1939 by the estate of Barron Gift Collier, founder of the county which bears his name and its largest landholder. The congregation at that time was Presbyterian, officially established in 1926, and had met in various places in the city. Before then, various visiting pastors served the area, the first being the Reverend George W. Gatewood in 1888. One condition of the gift of land was that the structure be erected before October 1, 1940 and that the church be non-denominational. Both conditions were met when the dedication ceremony took place on May 5th 1940. The town was a Collier company town with buildings constructed of ship lap siding, a tin roof and flooring made of Dade Country pine. A fellowship hall and breezeway to the southwest was added in the late 1950s. The digital carillon was installed in 1990 and chimes hourly. On September 4, 2007, Everglades City proclaimed the church to be historically preserved because it “provides links with the aspirations and attainments of the City’s pioneers and their descendants.” The bell tower and narthex were repaired in June 2008, as the first step in a complete restoration of the building.
 
Erected 2008 by A Florida Heritage Landmark Sponsored by Everglades City and the
Everglades Community Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, October 3, 2015
2. Everglades Community Church Marker
Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-649.)
 
Location. 25° 51.435′ N, 81° 23.081′ W. Marker is in Everglades, Florida, in Collier County. Marker is at the intersection of Copeland Avenue South and Broadway Street East, on the right when traveling north on Copeland Avenue South. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 Copeland Avenue South, Everglades City FL 34139, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Collier County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Laundry Building - Everglades Women's Club (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Cypress Swamp (approx. 5 miles away); Ochopee Post Office (approx. 6.2 miles away).
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Everglades Community Church image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, October 3, 2015
3. Everglades Community Church
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 163 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement