“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Florence in Douglas County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)

From Indian Lands to the Golden Gate

From Indian Lands to the Golden Gate Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Bosse, September 8, 2015
1. From Indian Lands to the Golden Gate Marker
Inscription. Florence was a small town with a big history. The Oto, Missouri, and Omaha Indians lived and hunted here. Frenchmen, Canadians and Spaniards traded along the Missouri river. Lewis and Clark's Corps of Discovery made their first contact with Indians near N.P. Dodge Park in 1804 and arranged for an official Council a few miles up the river.

The Lewis and Clark Expedition opened the area to American fur traders. Pioneers followed soon after. The first to migrate through here were the Mormons. Persecuted for their religion, they were force to leave Illinois in February 1846, crossing the frozen Mississippi River. Four months later they arrived, discouraged and tired, at what today is called Florence. the Omaha Indians gave the Mormons permission to build a settlement on their land.

Winter Quarters was built as a temporary city for about 4,000 Mormons they spent two years renewing their strength and confidence. They ordained a President and prepared to continue their journey to religious freedom. In 1848, the Mormons abandoned their city, leaving behind a mill, cemetery, and a network of roads, bridges and ferries.

One year later, in 1849, California gold was discovered and "gold fever" infected the nation. thousands of "gold rushers" traveled the Mormon Trail through here. By 1852, the North Mormon Ferry became known as the "Golden Gate" because of the large numbers of gold rushers crossing the Missouri River. This was the land where the fabled and adventurous West began.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Lewis & Clark Expedition, and the Mormon Pioneer Trail marker series.
Location. 41° 20.264′ N, 95° 57.639′ W. Marker is in Florence, Nebraska, in Douglas County. Marker is on 30th Street, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Omaha NE 68112, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Little Town That Dreamed of Greatness (here, next to this marker); The Bank of Florence (within shouting distance of this marker); Mormon Pioneer Memorial Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Winter Quarters (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Mormon Pioneer Trail (approx. 0.3 miles away); A Meeting House for the Saints (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Florence Mill (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named The Florence Mill (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Florence.
Categories. Settlements & Settlers

Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 128 times since then and 87 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement