Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ocala in Marion County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Old Courthouse Square

 
 
The Old Courthouse Square Marker image. Click for full size.
By James R. Murray, 11.13.15
1. The Old Courthouse Square Marker
Located to the right of the Gazebo in the Ocala Downtown Square
Inscription. Designated as a Public Square in the original Ocala plat of 1846, this location was the site of Marion County’s first permanent courthouse built in 1851. It was a two-story frame building of Colonial design. The second courthouse was erected on this site in 1884, a two-story brick cube. Public dissatisfaction caused a third courthouse with more adequate space to be built in 1906. It was of Roman design with a clock dome and veneered walls of Indiana sandstone. In 1965, when public efforts to save it failed, it was demolished. This site was given by Marion County to the City of Ocala in a property exchange, becoming a city park, thus retaining its function as a Public Square as planned by the city’s founders.
 
Erected 1997 by Marion County Historical Commission and Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-379.)
 
Location. 29° 11.209′ N, 82° 8.199′ W. Marker is in Ocala, Florida, in Marion County. Marker is at the intersection of East Silver Springs Boulevard (State Road 40) and Southeast Magnolia Avenue, on the right when traveling east on East Silver Springs Boulevard. Click for map. Marker is located to the right of Ocala Downtown Square. Marker is in this post office area: Ocala FL 34470, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
The Old Courthouse Square Marker image. Click for full size.
By James R. Murray, November 13, 2015
2. The Old Courthouse Square Marker
At least 7 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ocala Demands (a few steps from this marker); Ocala (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Evergreen Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Marion County Confederate Memorial Marker (approx. 2.1 miles away); Fort King Burying Ground (approx. 3.2 miles away); Fort King (approx. 3.3 miles away); Brick City Fever (approx. 3.8 miles away).
 
Categories. Man-Made Features
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. This page has been viewed 153 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement