Ypsilanti in Washtenaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Located at the juncture of old Indian trails and the Huron River, this area was the camping and burying ground for several Indian tribes. In 1809 Gabriel Godfroy established an Indian trading post on the west bank of the Huron which he maintained for about ten years. Benjamin Woodruff and companions came up the river by boat in 1823 and settled one mile west of here at Woodruff's Grove. In 1825 a town was platted by Judge Augustus B. Woodward of Detroit and two local men, William Harwood and John Stewart. Situated on both sides of the Huron where the famous Chicago Road (now U.S. 12) crossed the river, the town was named Ypsilanti in honor of the Greek war hero, Demetrius Ypsilanti. The home of Eastern Michigan University, the oldest state teachers college west of Albany, Ypsilanti is also the site of one of the state's very first publicly-supported secondary schools. In World War II the Willow Run plant was erected to build B-24 bombers which were vitally important to the war effort. True to its heritage, Ypsilanti has grown in the mainstream of commerce, industry, and education.
1 You are here
2 Cleary College
3 Eastern Michigan University
4 Ypsilanti Monument
5 Site of Godfroy's trading post
6 Beyer Memorial Hospital
7 Willow Run Airport
9 Michigan Avenue interchange
10 Grove Road interchange
Original plat of Ypsilanti
Erected 1963 by Michigan Historical Commission and The Rotary Club. (Marker Number 237.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 14.687′ N, 83° 36.781′ W. Marker is in Ypsilanti, Michigan, in Washtenaw County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 17 and Emmet Street, on the right when traveling north on State Highway 17. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 220 North Huron Street, Ypsilanti MI 48197, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 220 N. Huron (a few steps from this marker); Ladies' Literary Club House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Presbyterian Church (about 400 feet away); Facing the Fire (about 500 feet away); First Methodist Episcopal Church (about 700 feet away); The Last Hudson Dealership (approx. 0.2 miles away); Michigan Central Freighthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Barracks / Ypsilanti in the Civil War (approx. ¼ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Ypsilanti.
More about this marker.
Also see . . . Ypsilanti Historical Marker. (Submitted on November 17, 2015, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 170 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.