Bank of Eureka Springs Community Room
Ellis Murphy established Murphy's Firestone Tire Service at this site about 1923. Called "Murphy the Tire Man", his services were frequently required to patch inner tubes and repair tires for hundred[s] of automobiles bringing tourists to Eureka Springs. The limestone building was an auto repair shop until July 1973 when it was purchased for use as a community room for the Bank of Eureka Springs. They brought back and placed the first old-time awning on the building, beginning a restoration trend which spread throughout the historic district, and the building was restored in time for the 1979 Eureka Springs Centennial.
Erected by in partnership with the Greater Eureka Springs Chamber of Commerce and the Community Development Partnership.
Location. 36° 24.033′ N, 93° 44.378′ W. Marker is in Eureka Springs, Arkansas, in Carroll County. Marker is on Main Street (Arkansas Route 23) south of Benton Street, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 67 South Main Street, Eureka Springs AR 72632, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bank of Eureka Springs (within shouting distance of this marker); The Western District Courthouse
Also see . . . City of Eureka Springs. (Submitted on November 17, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 111 times since then and 75 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.