Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Plymouth in Litchfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Site Of St. Peterís Church

 
 
Site Of St. Peterís Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, November 16, 2015
1. Site Of St. Peterís Church Marker
Inscription.
Site Of
St. Peterís
Church
1796 - 1915

(panel next to the marker)
St. Peterís Episcopal Church
St. Peter's Episcopal parish was organized in 1740 by eleven families who longed for their beloved Church of England. They built a little church in what is now Thomaston, near where St. Thomas Church is today. By 1796, the parish had outgrown its original building, and built a new church on this site (upper photo). On February 27, 1915, tragedy struck when the church burned down, probably from the wood stove. Parishioners gathered stones from their fields and walls to build a new church on the site of the present day First Baptist Church of Plymouth.
The Plymouth Green
In 1747, the Ecclesiastical Society of Northbury acquired 4 acres to build a church and a cemetery, and to serve as a training ground for the local militia. Two meetinghouses were built before the present day Congregational Church was built in 1838. The Green has always been the center of community events such as Memorial Day parades and old Home Days. At one such gathering, Tom Hogan demonstrated his athletic ability by pole vaulting over a high bar (lower photo). Note the lack of cushioning in the landing area. St. Peter's Church is in the background.
 
Location.
Site Of St. Peterís Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, November 16, 2015
2. Site Of St. Peterís Church Marker
41° 40.389′ N, 73° 3.204′ W. Marker is in Plymouth, Connecticut, in Litchfield County. Marker is at the intersection of North Street and Park Street, on the left when traveling north on North Street. Click for map. Located at the northeastern corner of the Plymouth Green. Marker is in this post office area: Plymouth CT 06782, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Plymouth Burying Ground (within shouting distance of this marker); Plymouth Center School (within shouting distance of this marker); First Congregational Church of Plymouth (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Plymouth Soldiers Memorial (about 300 feet away); Constitution Oak (about 500 feet away); Plymouth (approx. 0.6 miles away); Fr. Michael J. McGivney (approx. one mile away); Thomaston Veterans Monument (approx. one mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Plymouth.
 
Also see . . .  Articles by the Plymouth Town Historian. (Submitted on November 18, 2015, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Site Of St. Peterís Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, November 16, 2015
3. Site Of St. Peterís Church Marker
Site Of St. Peterís Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, November 16, 2015
4. Site Of St. Peterís Church Marker
(panel next to the marker)
St. Peter's Episcopal Church facing North St. image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, November 16, 2015
5. St. Peter's Episcopal Church facing North St.
(detail photo from the marker)
St. Peterís Church and the Plymouth Green image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, November 16, 2015
6. St. Peterís Church and the Plymouth Green
(detail photo from the marker)
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 107 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement