Van Winkle's Mill
Peter Van Winkle’s saw mill cut lumber for Confederate soldiers’ winter quarters at Cross Hollow and Oxford Bend in early 1862. Gen. Earl Van Dorn’s Confederates used the mill to grind corn after their March 1862 defeat at Pea Ridge, and wounded men were sheltered in the mill and nearby houses. Van Winkle and his family fled to Texas, and the mill was burned on Dec. 3, 1863. Van Winkle built an improved mill after the Civil War and it provided much of the lumber to rebuild war-ravaged northwest Arkansas during Reconstruction. It closed in 1890.
Erected 2014 by Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission; Hobbs State Park—Conservation Area; Arkansas Department of Parks and Tourism; Arkansas Natural and Cultural Resources Council. (Marker Number 83.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Arkansas Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission marker series.
Location. 36° 17.811′ N, 93° 57.503′ W. Marker is near Rogers, Arkansas, in Benton County. Marker is on Arkansas Route 12 0.1 miles west of Van Winkle Place Road, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Hobbs State Park - Conservation Area Parking Area, Rogers AR 72756, United States of America.
Other nearby markers.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 141 times since then and 101 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.