“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Nora in Dickenson County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)

Old Buffalo School

Old Buffalo School Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, October 16, 2015
1. Old Buffalo School Marker
Inscription. Established in 1875 on land given by Simpson Dyer, the Old Buffalo School became the first free school of Dickenson County in 1880. Alexander Johnson Skeen served as first teacher. The school remained in operation for twenty five years. during which time it educated many future leaders in the area.
Erected 2013 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number XB-10.)
Location. 37° 4.8′ N, 82° 20.987′ W. Marker is near Nora, Virginia, in Dickenson County. Marker is on Dante Mountain Road (Virginia Route 63) near Buffalo Creek Road (County Route 681). Click for map. It is just north of Nora. Marker is in this post office area: Nora VA 24272, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. John Mullins (approx. 7.5 miles away); a different marker also named John Mullins (approx. 7.6 miles away); Ralph Stanley Museum (approx. 7.6 miles away); Colley’s Cabin (approx. 8.1 miles away); Clintwood (approx. 8.3 miles away); Dr. Tivis C. & Emma Sutherland (approx. 9.3 miles away); Indian and Settler Conflict (approx. 9.3 miles away); Dickenson County (approx. 11.1 miles away).
More about this marker.
Old Buffalo School Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, October 16, 2015
2. Old Buffalo School Marker
This 2013 marker replaced one with the same number, title and text at this location that was originally erected in 1972 by the Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission.
Also see . . .  School & Community History of Dickenson County Virginia. 1994 book edited by Dennis Reedy available on “Without doubt, Old Buffalo School, near the headwaters of McClure River near Nora, Va., was the most noted school. This old school was built at the mouth of Buffalo Creek and was first a subscription school of about three months term. All the pupils were grown men and women. They paid $1.00 per month. Some time before 1879, this old building was burned. Soon afterwards people became interested in having a free school there. Simpson Dyer, Sr., offered the land and furnished the timber to build the old school house. Elijah Counts stuck the first ax in the first log for the new building. They built a large chimney in one end, a large door in the other end, a window on each side of the room three feet by six feet, and long split log benches. In 1885, E.C. Rasnick or J.C. Rasnick made new desks of sawed planks.” (Submitted on November 18, 2015.) 
Categories. Education
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 128 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement