Near Meade in Dickenson County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Wise County / Dickenson County
Wise County. Wise County was formed in 1856 from Lee, Scott, and Russell Counties. It was named for Henry Alexander Wise who was governor of Virginia from 1856 to 1860. The county seat is the town of Wise. After the Civil War the town of Wise grew and the county's industry expanded because of the growth of the railroads and the increased mining of coal in the region. Noted novelist John Fox Jr. lived in the town of Big Stone Gap here for a portion of his life and wrote the best- selling novels The Trail of the Lonesome Pine and The Little Shepherd of Kingdom Come.
Dikenson County. This mountainous county is named for William J. Dickenson, delegate to the Virginia General Assembly from Russell County in 1880 when the county was formed from Russell, Wise, and Buchanan Counties. The first permanent European settlements were established in the county during the early 19th century. Breaks Interstate Park is located near Breaks and includes a portion of Kentucky. The park was formed by a joint action of both state legislatures in 1954 and has a deep gorge shaped for centuries by the Russell Fork River. Clintwood is the county seat.
Erected 2003 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number Z-133.)
Location. Click for map. It is at Georges Fork Gap. Marker is in this post office area: Clintwood VA 24228, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Daniel Webster Dotson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dickenson County (approx. 0.3 miles away); Pound, Virginia (approx. 2.9 miles away); Francis Gary Powers — U2 Pilot (approx. 3.5 miles away); a different marker also named Daniel Webster Dotson (approx. 4.2 miles away); Clintwood (approx. 4.3 miles away); The Crooked Road (approx. 4.6 miles away); a different marker also named Daniel Webster Dotson (approx. 4.6 miles away).
More about this marker. This marker replaced an earlier marker with this same number and titles erected on the original alignment of Route 83 through Georges Fork Gap before 1941. The faces of that earlier marker read: “Area 252 square miles. Formed in 1856 from Lee, Scott and Russell, and named for Henry A. Wise, governor of Virginia, 1856–1760.” and “Area 325 square miles. Formed in 1880 from Russell, Wise and Buchanan, and
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Natural Features • Natural Resources • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 109 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.