Fort Myers in Lee County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Agrico Chemical Company purchased #143 in 1944 for use in Florida’s phosphate mining industry around Mulberry. The locomotive hauled cars to and from the mines for interchange with mainline railroads. #143 was retired from service in 1959 and placed on display at Agrico’s offices at Pierce. In the early 1970’s #143 was moved to Webster, Fl and displayed at the short-lived Orange Belt Railroad.
Number 143 was eventually moved to Tampa and stored on a short piece of track near a cement plant. Its condition deteriorated over the years. Prior to being scrapped it was obtained by the Railroad Museum of South Florida in Ft. Myers. Number 143 was moved to Ft. Myers in August 1992, then to Lakes Park in 1995. Restoration work started 1999 and was completed April 2001.
Seaboard served Ft. Myers from 1926 to 1952
The Seabord Air Line Railway came to Ft. Myers during Florida land boom of the 1920’s and directly competed with the Atlantic Coast
At Punta Rassa Junction, where Six Mile Cypress Parkway crosses. Ten Mile Canal, a branch departed the main line and ran through what is now Lakes Park. The right of way entered the southern end of the Fragrance Garden and continued to a point about where this markers stands. the railroad grade then ran just south of the present day boardwalk and causeway across the lake and then curved to the southwest exiting the present park boundary along the West Trail. Therefore the line ran beside and south of present day Summerlin Road to a farming area called Truckland, in Iona. The branch never reached Punta Rassa.
Large amounts of produce and gladioli were once shipped from this area. Late in 1952, the Seaboard abandoned its Fort Myers Extension and the Coast Line resumed its monopoly.
At a later date, the Atlantic Coast Line constructed a short spur track off their main line to serve the lime rock mining that created the present lakes in the park. June 1st 1967 the SAL merged with the ACL to form the Seaboard Coast Line Railroad.
Location. 26° 31.681′ N, 81° 52.608′ W. Marker is in Fort Myers, Florida, in Lee County. Marker can Click for map. Marker is located at the Railroad Museum of South Florida in Lakes Regional Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7330 Gladiolus Drive, Fort Myers FL 33907, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Dragon And His Tail (approx. 4 miles away); People and Plants (approx. 6.5 miles away); Plants and Progress (approx. 6.5 miles away); Edison Park School (approx. 7.2 miles away); Thomas Alva Edison (approx. 7.3 miles away); Mina Miller Edison (approx. 7.3 miles away); Edison Heritage Garden (approx. 7.3 miles away); Banyan Tree (Ficus benghalensis) (approx. 7.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Fort Myers.
Also see . . . Railroad Museum of South Florida. (Submitted on November 23, 2015.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 180 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on , by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.