Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Francisco in San Francisco City and County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Original Joe's

Uptown Tenderloin Lost Landmarks

 
 
Original Joe's Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 15, 2015
1. Original Joe's Marker
Inscription.
1937 - 2007
Established in 1937 by Tony Rodin, Original Joe's served hearty Italian food to over 8 million customers for the next six decades. Known for an open door policy, the legendary restaurant fed the rich and poor alike. Family members continued the culinary legacy here until a 2007 fire destoyed the building's interior.
 
Erected by Uptown Tenderloin Historic District.
 
Location. 37° 47.033′ N, 122° 24.651′ W. Marker is in San Francisco, California, in San Francisco City and County. Click for map. Embedded in the sidewalk. Marker is at or near this postal address: 144 Taylor Street, San Francisco CA 94102, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Warfield Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); B'nai Brith (within shouting distance of this marker); Compton's Cafeteria Riot - 1966 (within shouting distance of this marker); Hotel Drake (within shouting distance of this marker); Gene Compton's Cafeteria Riot 1966 (within shouting distance of this marker); West Hotel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dahlia Hotel (about 300 feet away); The Bulldog Baths (about 300 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in San Francisco.
 
Also see . . .
Original Joe's Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 15, 2015
2. Original Joe's Marker
 Lost Landmarks. This marker is one of 9 Lost Landmark sidewalk plaques authorized by the Board of Supervisors on September 6, 2011. “These ‘Lost Landmark’ sites will greatly illuminate the forgotten history of these San Francisco sites of historic significance; now, therefore be it.” (Submitted on December 23, 2015, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.) 
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
144 Taylor Street image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 15, 2015
3. 144 Taylor Street
The 37 room reinforced concrete building that housed Original Joe's was built in 1910 by engineer A. Knelling. It was the Beverly Hotel and later the Modern Hotel. It sported a neon blade sign reading “Original Joe's. Fine Italian Food”, a neon marquee reading “Original Joe's” and a blade sign reading “Cool Discount”. Original Joe's has reopened at 601 Union Street.Today 144 is PianoFight, “SF's Next Landmark Entertainment Venue.”
Original Joe's<br>Italian Foods image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, November 16, 2015
4. Original Joe's
Italian Foods
Recovered mural sign on neighboring building.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 215 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement