“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Montpelier in Bear Lake County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)

Cleaners, Hospital, Plumbers and a Big Bear

Montpelier Historic Downtown Walking Tour

Cleaners, Hospital, Plumbers and a Big Bear Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 11, 2015
1. Cleaners, Hospital, Plumbers and a Big Bear Marker
Captions: (top center) The Schmid building was located in the front part of the property where Kings is currently located.; (bottom center) This decorative plate sold at "The Fair Store" is on display at the Rails and Trails Museum.; (top right) The building on the right is the Pendrey building.; (middle right) Due to Montpelier's historical link to bears the downtown area adopted "Bears Everywhere" or "Beware of the Bears" in all of its downtown marketing signage. You can see concrete or carved wooden bears located throughout downtown Montpelier.; (bottom left) This picture of a political rally was taken around the turn of the 20th century. Later most of the buildings in the photo were destroyed by fire.
Inscription. Schmid Building
Carl (Charles) Schmid, a tailor from Freienstein, Switzerland opened a tailor shop in Montpelier in 1892. He named his business Chas Schmid, The Tailor. He made men's suits and coats and did repairs, alterations and dry cleaning. Charles died in 1909 leaving the business to his wife Eliza. Their young daughter Freda and son Charlie, ages 18 and 16 took over the shop and worked very hard to keep the business going. Later they moved to a small building on the corner of 10th Street and Washington and in the 1940's built the modern white cinder-block building next door. John Schmid joined the business in the 1920's as a partner to Charlie and they renamed the business Schmid Bros. John and Charlie brought in state-of-the-art dry cleaning equipment in 1956. Charlie died in 1966 and John continued running the business. The family business was in operation continuously for 88 years and closed its doors on Oct. 14, 1980, the day John died. The building was sold to John Crockett in the mid 1980's and was used as a NAPA Auto Parts Store for several years. John Crockett then sold the building to M.H. King and the building was torn down at that time preparing for a new King's facility.

Bear Lake Hospital (1937-1949)
The second hospital in Bear Lake was found above "The Fair Store" on Washington
Cleaners, Hospital, Plumbers and a Big Bear Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 11, 2015
2. Cleaners, Hospital, Plumbers and a Big Bear Marker
Street in downtown Montpelier, Idaho. The "Bear Lake Hospital" was a 12 bed facility that opened in February 1937 under the management of Dr. R.B. Lindsay and Dr Reed J. Rich. It operated concurrently with the first hospital for 8 years and closed December 31, 1949 when the new Bear Lake Memorial Hospital was opened in 1950. The Hospital is seen in the background during a county fair parade in the 1940's.

Pendrey Building
In the early 1900's W.S. Pendrey opened Pendrey Plumbing and Heating and Sheet Metal. The business telephone number was 95 and Pendrey lived in the apartment upstairs. Over the years, the building housed multiple businesses including satellite sales, ceramics and home improvement sales.

Old Ephraim—The Legend of the Grizzley
Back in the early 1900's, one of the last of the great grizzlies was killed after terrorizing local ranchers and shepherds who raised livestock in the Bear Lake and Cache valley forests. He was given the name "Old Ephraim" and he had an awkward gate from a deformed front left paw and leg reportedly from being caught in a trap at an early age. When he was killed by Frank Clark on August 22, 1923, Old Ephraim was called the largest grizzly ever taken in the lower 48 states. He measured 9 feet 11 inches tall and his skull is housed at the Smithsonian Institute in Washington, D.C. Stare
Old Ephraim image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 11, 2015
3. Old Ephraim
up into the face of this bruin and pretend you are in Frank Clark's shoes facing down the great "Old Ephraim" on your own!
Erected by Greater Bear Lake Valley Chamber of Commerce, Montpelier Gem Community Team, Daughters of Utah Pioneers, The Bear Lake County Historical Society, USDA Rural Development Agency and Utah Power. (Marker Number 7.)
Location. 42° 19.064′ N, 111° 18.589′ W. Marker is in Montpelier, Idaho, in Bear Lake County. Marker is on Washington Street (U.S. 89) near North 9th Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 922 Washington Street, Montpelier ID 83254, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Downtown Montpelier Historic Walking Tour (within shouting distance of this marker); Second Bank of Montpelier (within shouting distance of this marker); The Bank and The Burgoyne (within shouting distance of this marker); Model T's, Odd Fellows and the News (within shouting distance of this marker); A Strong Building, Stock Chevys and Railroad (within shouting distance of this marker); A Look at Memory Lane (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); News Examiner (about 400 feet away); Ritter Bros. Drug and the Roxy Theatre (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Montpelier.
Categories. Industry & CommerceScience & Medicine
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 120 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement