Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pinedale in Sublette County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
 

Pinedale Historic District

1904 - 1905

 
 
Pinedale Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 12, 2015
1. Pinedale Historic District Marker
Inscription. Mr. John F. Patterson, known as the Founder of Pinedale, proposed establishing a town at this location. He offered to build and stock a general store if local ranchers Charles A. Petersen and Mr. Robert O. Graham each donated five acres for the town site. The three gentlemen agreed to this plan, a surveyor was hired, and the town of Pinedale, named after the Post Office on Petersen's ranch, became a town on paper owned by the three. Pine Street was the ranchers' property line. Founders Day is September 26, 1904, when the first town plat was drawn on a piece of yellow linen cloth showing blocks, lots and streets. Free town lots were offered to early settlers, one of whom was C. Watt Brandon, Mr. Patterson's nephew. Mr Brandon built a newspaper office for his paper, The Pinedale Roundup, which also housed the Post Office.
 
Erected 2004 by Sublette County Historic Preservation Board.
 
Location. 42° 52.007′ N, 109° 51.817′ W. Marker is in Pinedale, Wyoming, in Sublette County. Marker is at the intersection of West Pine Street (U.S. 191) and North Franklin Avenue, on the right when traveling west on West Pine Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 137 West Pine Street, Pinedale WY 82941, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Pinedale Historic District Marker (detail) image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 12, 2015
2. Pinedale Historic District Marker (detail)
Key: 1. Pinedale Hotel (only original building); 2. Pinedale Roundup Office and Post Office; 3. Brandon Meathouse; 4. Woodman Hall; 5. Bates Photography; 6. Pinedale School; 7. Truax Blacksmith; 8. Sturdevant Drug Store; 9. Forest Reserve Office; 10. Jones Home; 11. Franklin Mercantile Co.; 12. Patterson Home; 13. Dr. Alexander Building; 14. Fremont Saloon; 15. Tarter Home.
At least 7 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A Pause on a Journey (approx. mile away); The Naming of a Lake (approx. 2.3 miles away); Welcome to the Riparian Community of Duck Creek (approx. 4.1 miles away); Rendezvous - Birth of an Empire (approx. 6.1 miles away); First Holy Mass in Wyoming (approx. 9.1 miles away); Pinckey W. Sublette (approx. 9.2 miles away); The Prairie of the Mass (approx. 10.2 miles away).
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
Pinedale Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 12, 2015
3. Pinedale Historic District Marker
The Only Original Building in Pinedale image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, September 12, 2015
4. The Only Original Building in Pinedale
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 95 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement