“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Nickelsville in Scott County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)

Kilgore Fort House

Kilgore Fort House Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, October 17, 2015
1. Kilgore Fort House Marker
Inscription. The Kilgore Fort House was built in 1786 by Robert Kilgore whose family were early settlers in this area. It was one of the twelve forts between Castlewood. and Cumberland Gap providing ready refuge for settlers from Indian attacks in the late 18th century. Kilgore later was a preacher in the Primitive Baptist Church often holding religious services at the Fort House. He married Jane Porter Green, daughter of Patrick Porter who built Porterís Fort on Fall Creek.
Erected 1986 by Department of Conservation and Historic Resources. (Marker Number KA-9.)
Location. 36° 44.134′ N, 82° 26.051′ W. Marker is near Nickelsville, Virginia, in Scott County. Marker is on Nickelsville Highway (Virginia Route 71) north of Angus Glen Drive, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Nickelsville VA 24271, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Houstonís Fort (approx. 3.7 miles away); Early Settlers in Russell County (approx. 6.1 miles away); Patrick Porter (approx. 6.6 miles away); Patrick Hagan and Dungannon
Kilgore Fort House Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, October 17, 2015
2. Kilgore Fort House Marker
(approx. 6.6 miles away); Dungannon Depot (approx. 6.6 miles away); Flanary Archaeological Site (approx. 6.6 miles away); McConnell's Birthplace (approx. 9.7 miles away); Big Moccasin Gap (approx. 9.7 miles away).
Also see . . .  Kilgore Fort House. Despite its obvious defensive design, there is no record of the fort house being attacked by Indians. A story persists in the county that Cherokee Indians once camped on the far bank of Copper Creek, but that is unlikely since the far bank is a cliff. The fort house is on a natural crossing on Copper Creek that is still used today. Older residents remember when cars would ford the creek at this spot; at least two bridges, including the current one, have been built here. Unused bridge pilings still exist in the creek. (Submitted on November 25, 2015.) 
Categories. Forts, CastlesSettlements & Settlers
Kilgore Fort House image. Click for full size.
Via US Wikipedia, circa 1930
3. Kilgore Fort House
From Addington, Robert M.. 1932. History of Scott County, Virginia. Privately printed, Kingsport Press, Inc., Kingsport, TN. Copyright on this work was not renewed. Image appears between pages 110 and 111.
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 95 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement