Near Wilson in Teton County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
Welcome to Teton Pass
Indian artifacts dating back over 9,000 years have been found in the Teton Pass and Trail Creek areas. These findings are proof of the long history of this natural travel corridor between Jackson Hole and eastern Idaho. Early Indian groups used this route to access hunting and plant gathering areas in Jackson Hole.
Early trappers and explorers used Teton Pass as the main travel corridor accessing the Jackson Hole area. Historic documents tell of John Hoback, Jacob Reznor, and Edward Robinson leading Wilson Price Hunt and a party of Astorians over Teton Pass in 1811 on their way to the Pacific Northwest. Jim Bridger guided William Reynolds of the Topographical Engineers over Teton Pass in 1860, in search of a suitable railroad route.
In the early 1880s, the first homesteaders began traveling over the Pass to Jackson Hole. The first horse-drawn wagon was driven over in 1886 by Joe Enfanger and Adolf Miller. At that time, it took about two weeks for adventuresome travelers to get over the Pass.
In the late 1880's, mail service from Victor, Idaho to Jackson Hole began, via horseback, wagon, ski and snowshoe. In 1912 the Oregon Short Line Railroad spur was completed to Victor,Idaho.
Beginning in 1913, the Forest Service graded the first roadway up the Pass from Wilson - a vast improvement over the Wagon Road. The old Pass Road, initially widened in 1928, was used until 1969, when the present highway over Teton Pass was finally completed.
Teton Pass was the most important access connecting Jackson Hole with the rest of the world, particularly after the railroad arrived in Victor, Idaho in 1912. Homesteaders brought the first horse-drawn wagon over the Pass in 1886. The wagon route was used extensively to transport people, domestic goods, mail and cattle over the Pass until 1913 when the Forest Service built the Old Pass road.
Hiking the History Trail offers the opportunity to travel along the path of the wagon route and see evidence of Jackson's early history. Enjoy!
Erected by Department of Agriculture, U.S. Forest Service.
Location. 43° 29.814′ N, 110° 57.287′ W. Marker is near Wilson, Wyoming, in Teton County. Marker is on Teton Pass Highway (Wyoming Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wilson WY 83014, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Elijah Nicholas "Uncle Nick" Wilson (approx. 4 miles away); Jackson Hole (approx. 8.5 miles away); Trumpeter Swans (approx. 9.7 miles away); The Million Dollar Cowboy Bar (approx. 9.7 miles away); Wildland Romance (approx. 9.7 miles away); The Square as it appeared in 1936 (approx. 9.7 miles away); The Clubhouse (approx. 9.7 miles away); The Jackson Town Square (approx. 9.7 miles away).
More about this marker. These markers are located at the Teton Pass trailhead.
Categories. • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 110 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.