Inscription. The first Episcopal church in or near Rockville was built in 1739 on a two-acre parcel of land, part of which is now the Rockville Cemetery. It was constructed of clapboards and logs and was called both the "Chapel of Ease" and Rock Creek Chapel. The latter name was the same as that of the Mother Church of Prince George's Parish, located 12 miles to the south. The Parish was divided twice in the 1740s, following which the Chapel of Ease (and Rockville) became part of Frederick County.
By Tom Fuchs, January 14, 2006
|1. Christ Episcopal Church Marker|
Additions were made to the Chapel of Ease in the 1750s, and a transept was added in 1770, which completed its cruciform plan. The result was said to be "considerably handsomer and more church-like" than the brick church which replaced it in 1808. By 1796, the Chapel of Ease was found to be badly decayed and the vestry contracted in 1802 for a large two-story brick building to replace it. This building was completed in 1808 and was consecrated as Christ Church by Bishop Thomas John Claggett.
A new church was built on South Washington Street in 1822. In 1830, Christ Church became the Parish Church with the establishment of Rock Creek Parish. Soon afterward, a rectory was built on Montgomery Avenue. In 1863, Confederate Gen. J.E.B. Stuart and 8,000 soldiers briefly captured Rockville. Union sympathizers sought sanctuary in Christ Episcopal
Church and were seized with several members of the vestry. The captives were taken to Brookeville before release.
By Tom Fuchs, January 14, 2006
|2. Christ Episcopal Church|
The Gothic Revival-style church that stands here today was completed in 1887. It was almost destroyed by a hurricane in 1896.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Maryland, Lost Rockville – 1801 to 1850 marker series.
Location. 39° 4.94′ N, 77° 9.177′ W. Marker is in Rockville, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is on South Washington Street near Vinson Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 109 South Washington Street, Rockville MD 20850, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Christ Episcopal Church (here, next to this marker); Dr. James Anderson House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hungerford Tavern (about 300 feet away); Rockville (about 400 feet away); “Out of Robb’s Window, Montgomery County Courthouse.” (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Rockville.
More about this marker. One of the "Lost Rockville – 1801 to 1850" series of markers.
Also see . . .
Christ Episcopal Church. Maryland Inventory of Historic Places (PDF) (Submitted on July 2, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
By Allen C. Browne, June 29, 2013
|3. Stained Glass Window|
Christ Episcopal Church
|Blessed are the Pure in Heart for they shall see God|
To the Glory of God & in Memory of
Richard Johns Bowie
Born June 23rd 1807
Died March 12 1881
Judge Bowie was one of the unionists captured here by J.E.B. Stuart on June 28,1863.
Credits. This page originally submitted on January 28, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,200 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 28, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. 3. submitted on July 2, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |