Confederate Memorial State Historic Site
Flags at the Confederate Home of Missouri
According to Confederate Home records, news clippings, letters, post cards and other images, the United States flag was flown routinely at the Confederate Home of Missouri. The Confederate Home board members expressed their intentions to fly the United States flag atop the large main building. "We have made a splendid beginning. Everything is paid for, and $15,000 in our inside pocket for the main building. With that much more, up she goes, with a big pole on top, and the Stars and Stripes flying big enough to be seen clear to Lexington..." (The Higginsville Advance, Sept. 25, 1891)
In a letter from a resident dated March 7, 1924, "Old Glory floats on high above our large water tower and can be seen for miles in every direction..." (Letter to Mrs. Lettie Pierce, Walla Walla, Texas. March 7, 1924, Confederate Memorial State Historic Site archives)
The Confederate battle flag was brought out for funerals and special occasions. In those instances, it was hand carried, draped on a casket or displayed on temporary stanchions.
The Kansas City Star reported the following in Jim Cummins' obituary July 11, 1929, "They will lay Jim away in the Stars and Bars tomorrow. The Stars and Stripes float over the home here, but the men who live in it still revere the Confederate
A newspaper article from the 1920s expresses the pride of a veteran who raised the United States flag routinely. "One of the sights at the home is to see J.R. (Rocky) Moore, a member of Company B, Colonel Wheat's Division of the Confederate Army, raise the American flag each morning and haul it down at sunset. Never greater love shown in a man's face than in his when he takes Old Glory out to let the breeze caress her colors. Never greater reverence glows in any man's eyes than in his when he carefully lifts her from the staff, keeping her hem from touching the ground, and bears her away to her resting place for the night. Hero of a bitter war, enemy of the flag he how guards so carefully, Rocky Moore testifies to the goodness of Mr. and Mrs. Chambers (superintendent of the home) in making him standard bearer of the Nation's colors at the home." (Unidentified newspaper clipping, UDC scrapbook, Western Historical Manuscripts Collection, Columbia.)
[Bottom right photo caption reads]
The United Daughters of the Confederacy dedicated a monument in Confederate Memorial Park in 1935 to the valor of the Confederate veterans. The United States flag and the Confederate battle flag were presented on temporary stanchions.
Erected by Missouri State Parks.
Location. 39° 5.912′ N, 93° 43.768′ W. Marker is near Higginsville, Missouri, in Lafayette County. Marker is on 1st Street 0.4 miles north of Business Missouri Route 13, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is near the cemetery entrance. Marker is in this post office area: Higginsville MO 64037, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Confederate States of America - National Flags (a few steps from this marker); Our Confederate Dead (a few steps from this marker); Confederate States of America - Battle Flags (a few steps from this marker); Confederate Home Chapel Restoration (a few steps from this marker); Lion of Lucerne (within shouting distance of this marker); Cottage Row [and] The Confederate Home Chapel (within shouting distance of this marker); The Confederate Home of Missouri (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Soldiers' Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Higginsville.
Also see . . . Confederate Memorial State Historic Site MO. (Submitted on November 28, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Man-Made Features • Patriots & Patriotism • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 107 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.