Loomis in Placer County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
James Oscar Loomis
1830 – 1895
This community was founded in 1850 and originally named “The Grove” by gold miners who settled along Secret Ravine one mile east of here.
Forming a thriving community with the population exceeding 1500. In 1861 the name was changed to “Placer”, then changed again the following year to “Smithville”.
After the arrival of the Central Pacific Railroad, the town moved to this present location in 1869 and named “Pino”. On May 28, 1890 the town was given its name after Mr. Loomis, a popular citizen who served as Postmaster, railroad express agent, store and saloon keeper.
Erected 1973 by South Placer Kiwanis Club.
Location. 38° 49.257′ N, 121° 11.644′ W. Marker is in Loomis, California, in Placer County. Marker is on Taylor Road west of Horseshoe Bar Road, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. The markers and monument is located across the street from the Loomis Town Hall. Marker is in this post office area: Loomis CA 95650, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Loomis Town Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Loomis - Transcontinental Railroad (within shouting distance of this marker); Griffith Quarry (approx. 2.6 miles away); The Finnish Temperance Hall (approx. 3 miles away); The Fletcher Moon House (approx. 3 miles away); Rocklin Veterans Memorial (approx. 3 miles away); Rocklin (approx. 3.1 miles away); Trott Hotel (approx. 3.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Loomis.
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 137 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.