corning new york
Block 66, set aside by the Corning Co. in 1840 as a public square, has housed a school, churches, and courthouses. Constructed from 1905-1909, the popularly known Courthouse Park was renamed Canfield Park in 1944, in honor of the city engineer who designed and established the park. Renovation was begun in 1992 with the help of the Southside Neighborhood Assoc., Corning Rotary Club, and the city Parks and Recreation Dept.
Location. 42° 8.455′ N, 77° 3.438′ W. Marker is in Corning, New York, in Steuben County. Marker is at the intersection of Walnut Street and 2nd Street, on the right when traveling north on Walnut Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Corning NY 14830, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Courthouse Park (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Corning Free Academy (about 500 feet away); First Presbyterian Church (about 700 feet away); The Southern Tier Roller Mills (approx. 0.2 miles away); Concert Hall Block (approx. 0.2 miles away); Market Street Historic District (approx. 0.2 miles away); Frederick Carder Home (approx. ¼ mile away); Galvin and Haines Insurance (approx. ¼ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Corning.
Also see . . .
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 172 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 3. submitted on . This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.