Madison in Madison County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Many dilapidated houses were demolished in the 1990s, and younger residents have moved away. Pension Row remains home to a small population, many of whom have lived here for generations. It has two historic churches: St. Peter United Methodist Church, founded in 1887, and St. Elizabeth Cumberland Presbyterian Church, founded in 1910. Both continue to draw worshippers from throughout western Madison County.
Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Madison.
Location. 34° 41.972′ N, 86° 45.304′ W. Marker is in Madison, Alabama, in Madison County. Marker is at the Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Madison AL 35758, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. James Henry Bibb (approx. 0.2 miles away); Affair at Madison Station / Affair at Indian Creek Ford (approx. half a mile away); Trail of Tears (approx. half a mile away); "The Roundhouse" (approx. half a mile away); City of Madison (approx. half a mile away but has been reported missing); Madison County Veterans (approx. half a mile away); Lee Mansion (approx. 2.6 miles away); White Hall (approx. 2.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Madison.
Categories. • African Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 807 times since then and 133 times this year. Last updated on , by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.