Bovina in Parmer County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Bovina United Methodist Church
Members of the Bovina Methodist Church first met in a one-room schoolhouse. In 1910, during the pastorate of the Reverend J. A. Sweeney (d. 1919), the congregation constructed its first sanctuary across the street from this site. Much of the money raised to help build the structure came from cowboys on area ranches. The church hired its first full-time pastor during the 1940's.
As the oldest Methodist congregation in Parmer County, Bovina Methodist Church has a long history of providing service and leadership to the community and the surrounding farming and ranching area. With its emphasis on Christian education, youth ministry, and music, the congregation continues to uphold the ideals and traditions of its founders.
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 472.)
Location. 34° 31.053′ N, 102° 53.305′ W. Marker is in Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bovina TX 79009, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bovina (approx. 0.4 miles away); Bovina Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Site of Parmerton (approx. 6.6 miles away); Parmer County (approx. 12.6 miles away); Site of First Church in City of Friona (approx. 12.6 miles away); Farwell, Texas (approx. 12.6 miles away); Near Route of the Coronado Expedition (approx. 12.6 miles away); Friona Schools (approx. 12.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Bovina.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 85 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.