Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bedford in Bedford County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Grist Millstone

1774

 
 
Grist Millstone Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, November 10, 2015
1. Grist Millstone Marker
Inscription. This millstone, which dates prior to the American Revolution, came from Dutch Corner in Bedford County. Jim Karns found it in 1985 while doing construction work near Imlertown. The mill from which it came is unknown. This stone, which weighs about 1000 pounds, was used for grinding corn, wheat, rye, and barley into flour. Joel and Rachel (Karns) Riggle donated the stone to the museum in 2012.
 
Location. 40° 1.198′ N, 78° 30.237′ W. Marker is in Bedford, Pennsylvania, in Bedford County. Marker is on North Juliana Street. Click for map. The marker is on the grounds of the Fort Bedford Museum. It is near the entrance door to the Museum. Marker is in this post office area: Bedford PA 15522, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Forbes Road (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); This Tablet Marks The Site of Fort Bedford (about 400 feet away); "King's House" (about 400 feet away); Espy House (about 400 feet away); George Washington (about 400 feet away); Anderson House (about 500 feet away); Fraser Tavern (about 700 feet away); First Court House and Prison Built in 1774 (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Bedford.
 
Categories. Colonial EraForts, CastlesIndustry & Commerce
 
Grist Millstone image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, November 10, 2015
2. Grist Millstone
Fort Bedford Museum-full view image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, November 10, 2015
3. Fort Bedford Museum-full view
Grist Millstone Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, November 10, 2015
4. Grist Millstone Marker
The marker is inside the entrance through the fence on the left.
E. Paul Reighard Dam image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, November 10, 2015
5. E. Paul Reighard Dam
Commemorated February 7, 1972. This marker is on the front lawn of the Fort Bedford Museum
F. Paul Reighard Dam image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, November 10, 2015
6. F. Paul Reighard Dam
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 139 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement