Tulia in Swisher County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Methodist Church of Tulia
With financial and labor assistance from the entire community, the Methodists built the town's first church building in 1897 with lumber hauled from Amarillo. The tradition of shared services continued, and the Baptist and Presbyterian congregations also worshiped in the Methodist church building until their own facilities were built.
Church membership grew steadily, closely paralleling Tulia's population growth. A new sanctuary was completed in 1929, and by the early 1960s additional facilities were required to meet the congregation's needs. After a denominational name change in 1968, it became known as First United Methodist Church. In 1979, the congregation welcomed the membership of Trinity United Methodist Church in a merger of the two congregations. First United Church continues to serve the citizens of Tulia with a variety of worship, educational, and outreach programs.
Erected 1991 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1772.)
Location. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 119 North Briscoe Avenue, Tulia TX 79088, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ozark Trails Association (approx. 0.2 miles away); Flynt Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Swisher County (approx. 0.2 miles away); JA Ranch Cabin (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Swisher County (approx. ¼ mile away); Quanah Parker Trail (approx. 0.3 miles away); Tulia Depot (approx. 0.6 miles away); a different marker also named Quanah Parker Trail (approx. one mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Tulia.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 122 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.