Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Short Pump in Henrico County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Deep Run School

 
 
Deep Run School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., July 12, 2008
1. Deep Run School Marker
Inscription. This two-room schoolhouse opened in 1902. Its predecessor, Stand Spring School, had been destroyed by fire the previous year. The school was in use until 1911 offering seven grades of instruction. Wood stoves provided heat for the structure, and the privy was located outside. By folding the center wall of doors, the space converted into one large room for weekly square dances for the entire community. The County of Henrico moved the school to this location from Three Chopt Road in 1996.
 
Erected 1997 by County of Henrico. (Marker Number HC-9.)
 
Location. 37° 38.912′ N, 77° 36.75′ W. Marker is in Short Pump, Virginia, in Henrico County. Marker can be reached from Pump Road 0.2 miles south of W. Broad Street (U.S. 250). Click for map. Marker is in Short Pump Park. Marker is in this post office area: Henrico VA 23233, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Short Pump (approx. 0.2 miles away); Springfield School (approx. 1.4 miles away); Shady Grove United Methodist Church (approx. 1.6 miles away); Deep Run Baptist Church (approx. 1.6 miles
Deep Run School and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., July 12, 2008
2. Deep Run School and Marker
away); Old Coal Pit Railroad Bed (approx. 2.2 miles away); Tommy Edwards (approx. 3.4 miles away); Mercer Hugh Cosby Farm (approx. 3.6 miles away); Coal Pit School (approx. 3.9 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Three Chopt District Historic Sites - Deep Run School. ...the history of how the County of Henrico acquired this historic structure. (Submitted on July 13, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. EducationNotable Buildings
 
Henrico County Historic Preservation Program Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., July 12, 2008
3. Henrico County Historic Preservation Program Marker
Located on the front of the building, above the door.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 897 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement