Plainview in Hale County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church of Plainview
The growth of the church closely paralleled that of the city, which grew considerably after a branch of the Santa Fe Railroad was built through town in 1907 and the area's first irrigation well was dug. In a 1911 state charter the church was named First Missionary Baptist Church of Plainview. Programs for local church members were expanded, and the congregation actively supported domestic and foreign missionary activities. Continued growth led to the construction of this building in 1927, and the name was changed once again in 1929 to First Baptist Church of Plainview.
This Classical Revival sanctuary features two entry porticos, a cast stone cornice, and classical pediment. Continued growth over the years led to the acquisition of adjacent property and the construction of additional church facilities, including the Memorial Educational Building in 1950.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark – 1990
Erected 1990 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1664.)
Location. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Plainview TX 79072, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Plainview Daily Herald (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Texas Land & Development Company (about 600 feet away); Schick Opera House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Colonel C. C. Slaughter (approx. ¼ mile away); General Ranald Slidell MacKenzie (approx. ¼ mile away); Blasingame Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Santa Fe Railroad in Plainview (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of Lake Plainview (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Plainview.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 91 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.