“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Crawfordsville in Montgomery County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)

Otto Schlemmer Building

Otto Schlemmer Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Al Wolf, July 13, 2008
1. Otto Schlemmer Building Marker
National Register of Historic Places Marker
This property has been
placed on the
National Register
of Historic Places

by The United States
Department of The Interior

Erected by United States Department of the Interior.
Location. 40° 2.567′ N, 86° 54.002′ W. Marker is in Crawfordsville, Indiana, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of North Green Street and East Market Street, on the left when traveling north on North Green Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 129-131 N. Green Street, Crawfordsville IN 47933, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Federal Land Office (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Montgomery County's Tribute to her Heroic Dead (about 500 feet away); Montgomery County Rotary Jail (about 600 feet away); Cradle of Basketball (about 700 feet away); Saint John's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Elston Homestead (approx. 0.2 miles away); Crawfordsville (Indiana) Carnegie Library (approx. mile away); Lane Place (approx. mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Crawfordsville.
Regarding Otto Schlemmer Building. The original building was
Otto Schlemmer Building and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Al Wolf, July 13, 2008
2. Otto Schlemmer Building and Marker
View of the building looking West. Built in 1854 and restructured by Otto Schlemmer in 1889, it is now occupied by Law Offices. The marker can be seen on the right corner of the building. The adjacent building is the old Monon Hotel, once "one of the finest small hotels in the state" when it first opened its doors on Thursday, Aug. 18,1927.
constructed in 1854 by a local doctor, Simon Bennage. After several different businesses used the building, Otto Schlemmer, a German-born immigrant, restructured the beautiful old building in 1889 and made it into a saloon. The Schlemmer family went on to become prominent contributors to the community. After they sold the building, it again transitioned through several businesses until the current owners restored the building to its former glory.

The building currently houses the law offices of Capper Tulley & Reimondo.
Also see . . .  Crawfordsville, Athens of Indiana. Otto Schlemmer's contribution to Crawfordsville is mentioned briefly in this book by Karen Bazzani Zach, published by Arcadia Publishing in 2003. (Submitted on July 14, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.) 
Categories. LandmarksNotable BuildingsNotable Places
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,307 times since then and 77 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement