Plainview in Hale County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Green Machinery Co., Inc.
Once deep water was found, Green tackled related problems and invented (1915) the hollow-shaft, right-angle gear drive for irrigation pumps, which made it possible to use automotive-type engines for irrigation power.
With a goal of commercial pumps at moderate prices, Green established this factory in 1911, and reduced irrigation well installation costs to a figure that farmers could afford. His descendants still own and operate the business.
Erected 1974 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2269.)
Location. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1201 East 5th Street, Plainview TX 79072, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lamar School (approx. half a mile away); The Hackberry Groves (approx. 0.7 miles away); Schick Opera House (approx. 0.8 miles away); General Ranald Slidell MacKenzie (approx. 0.8 miles away); Colonel C. C. Slaughter (approx. 0.8 miles away); Texas Land & Development Company (approx. 0.8 miles away); Plainview Daily Herald (approx. 0.9 miles away); First Baptist Church of Plainview (approx. 0.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Plainview.
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 94 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.