Tyler in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Tyler Tap Railroad
Although organized and promoted by local citizens, the Tyler Tap Line soon attracted other investors. In 1879, under a new charter, it was renamed the Texas & St. Louis Railway, with headquarters in Tyler. It was reorganized again in 1891 as the St. Louis Southwestern Railway, commonly known as the Cotton Belt, with general offices still located here.
Erected 1975 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker
Location. 32° 21.283′ N, 95° 17.894′ W. Marker is in Tyler, Texas, in Smith County. Marker is on East Oakwood Street east of North Spring Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 210 E Oakwood St, Tyler TX 75702, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Yarbrough Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Goodman Home, 1857 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Smith County as a 19th Century Legal Center (approx. ¼ mile away); Henry Miller Morgan (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Henry Miller Morgan (approx. 0.3 miles away); 1881 Smith County Jail (approx. 0.3 miles away); Smith County C.S.A. / Tyler-Smith County C.S.A. Men and Units (approx. 0.3 miles away); The First County Agricultural Extension Agent (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Tyler.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. This page has been viewed 106 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on July 19, 2016.