Near Plainview in Hale County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
(2 miles west)
Among the first Mennonites to settle this farming community were the families of The Rev. Andrew Brenneman, John and Joseph Hartzler, Joe Guengerich, The Rev. Jonas Kreider, Milton H. Near, and Ferdinand Rastetter. The colonists built a one-room schoolhouse on land donated by H. R. and Alevia Newcomer. Settlers of all faiths attended the school sessions, worship services, and social events held in the building.
Although Snyder planted a peach orchard near his home and sank an irrigation well after 1911, life was harsh. Dust storms, prairie fires, hail, and the severe droughts of 1915 and 1916 discouraged the colonists. Most, including Peter Snyder, left by the mid-1920s to seek better conditions elsewhere. Only the Rastetter Family remained without interruption in this locality. The Snyder School merged with Midway Rural School in 1921 and with the Plainview School District in 1947.
Location. 34° 6.536′ N, 101° 41.789′ W. Marker is near Plainview, Texas, in Hale County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 400 north of Farm to Market Road 145, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Plainview TX 79072, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hale County (approx. 3.7 miles away); Emma Grigsby Meharg (approx. 4.8 miles away); W. J. "Jeff" Williams (approx. 4.8 miles away); Rawleigh Porteus Smyth (approx. 4.8 miles away); Edwin Lowden Lowe (approx. 4.8 miles away); Plainview Cemetery and Memorial Park (approx. 4.9 miles away); The Hackberry Groves (approx. 4.9 miles away); Lamar School (approx. 5.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Plainview.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 148 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.