Port Townsend in Jefferson County, Washington — The American West (Northwest)
Port Townsend’s boom days were already on the wane when construction began. Although work was hurried along until four stories were roughed in, financial unrest in the U.S. economy halted the project in 1893.
Since that time, the building has housed tenants as diverse as automobile dealerships (Whippet, Chrysler), tire stores, a bowling alley, and, in its leanest times, thousands of pigeons. (There is a claim the building made Ripley’s Believe It or Not as the world’s largest pigeon coop.) In 1928, a Seattle consortium announced plans to spend $250,000 to convert the building into an apartment-hotel, to meet the housing challenge presented by the arrival of workers for the new Crown Zellerbach mill, but financial difficulties interfered once again.
The two top floors were removed in the mid 1940’s; the bricks were barged out to Port Townsend Bay and thrown overboard.
The building was acquired by Barney and Judy Sabo in 1979 and restoration began.
Location. 48° Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Port Townsend WA 98368, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bell Tower (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fire Bell Tower (about 600 feet away); The Haller Fountain (about 600 feet away); Historical Marker (approx. 0.3 miles away); Guarding the Entrance to Puget Sound – Coast Artillery Corps (approx. 4.8 miles away); The Crockett Blockhouse (approx. 5.7 miles away); Ebey Blockhouse (approx. 6.5 miles away); Sunnyside (approx. 6.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Port Townsend.
Regarding Kuhn Building. Building is in the Port Townsend Historic District, which is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Also see . . . Port Townsend National Register Historic District. (Submitted on December 7, 2015, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Architecture • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 136 times since then and 67 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.