“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tyler in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Colonel Bryan Marsh / Texas Civil War Manufacturing

Colonel Bryan Marsh Marker image. Click for full size.
By Randal B. Gilbert, December 8, 2015
1. Colonel Bryan Marsh Marker
Texas Civil War Centennial Marker
School named for Texas Confederate
Colonel Bryan Marsh

Alabama native, came to Tyler, 1854. 1861 was captain Co. C, 17th Texas Cavalry. In 1863 Confederate campaigns to prevent split of South along Mississippi River. He was one of 4,500 C. S. A. men attacked by 30,000 Federals at Arkansas Post in Jan. 1863. Taken prisoner there, he was exchanged in May. Put into Bragg's army in Tennessee. Later, in Atlanta fighting lost right arm. Returned to fight until Lee surrendered. In 1880s was captain of Co. B., Frontier Battn., Texas Rangers. Quelled riot between town and soldiers at Fort Concho. Ended gunplay in railroad construction towns. Fought Indians. Was Smith County sheriff for 20 years.

Texas Civil War Manufacturing

Heavy military demands – 90,000 Texas troops, 2,000 miles of frontier and coastline to guard – plus reduced imports, caused fast expansion of Texas industry. Arms and munitions plants were built, one being here in Tyler. In some instances land grants were used to encourage production. State and private industry stepped up pace to help meet military and civilian needs for wagons, kettles, pots, leather goods, clothing, hospital supplies. The Texas Penal system made 1,712,328 yards of
Colonel Bryan Marsh Marker image. Click for full size.
By Randal B. Gilbert, December 8, 2015
2. Colonel Bryan Marsh Marker
cloth in two years for the war effort. Production of salt and “King Cotton” was hiked to trade for scarce items in Mexico. Ladies Aid Societies spun and sewed to outfit soldiers. The Confederate Quartermaster established depots and shops for military goods. Texas was storehouse and lifeline for the Confederacy.
Erected 1965 by The State of Texas. (Marker Number 7740.)
Location. 32° 21.459′ N, 95° 18.176′ W. Marker is in Tyler, Texas, in Smith County. Marker is on North Bois d'Arc Avenue north of West Wilson Street, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. The property is no longer a school and is owned by a church. The marker is behind a secure chain link fence and the rear of the marker is not visible or accessible. Marker is at or near this postal address: 700 N Bois d'Arc Ave, Tyler TX 75702, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Goodman Home, 1857 (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Tyler Tap Railroad (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Baptist Church of Tyler (approx. 0.4 miles away); Judge Stockton P. Donley (approx. 0.4 miles away); Yarbrough Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); Oakwood Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Richard Bennett Hubbard (approx. half a mile away); City of Tyler (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Tyler.
More about this marker. This is a Texas Civil War Centennial monument.
Categories. War, US Civil
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. This page has been viewed 105 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 21, 2016.
Paid Advertisement