Tyler in Smith County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Major James P. Douglas / Good-Douglas Texas Battery
Major James P. Douglas
Born in South Carolina. Came to Texas 1848. Led 50 Tyler men, 1861, to join 50 in Dallas to form Good-Douglas Battery - only Texas artillery serving east of the Mississippi. At Chickamauga, Battery shoved its big guns to edge of Federal rifle pits. Gallantry of Douglas was praised. In 1865 he returned to editing Tyler "Reporter." Became a lawyer. Was in Texas Senate, 1876-80. Joined leadership of Tyler Tap Railway. Was president of Cotton Belt Railroad. Led in Tyler's fruit and vegetable growing, canning industry. Was an organizer and trustee of East Texas University, Tyler.
Marched out of Texas July 9, 1861, after much romantic fanfare in Dallas. Attached to the 3rd Texas Cavalry. Capt. J. J. Good of Dallas soon resigned. J.P. Douglas commanded 1862-65. Fought at Wilsonís Creek, Mo., Pea Ridge, Ark., Murfreesboro, Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge, Tenn., Ringgold Gap, Kennesaw Mountain , Atlanta, Ga., Franklin and Nashville, Tenn., and other battles. Captured Federal guns were the original equipment. Douglasí men became the most illustrious Texas Field Artillery Battery in war. They covered Confederate withdrawal
Erected 1965 by The State of Texas. (Marker Number 7721.)
Location. 32° 21.962′ N, 95° 17.699′ W. Marker is in Tyler, Texas, in Smith County. Marker is at the intersection of North Carlyle Avenue and East Franklin Street, on the right when traveling north on North Carlyle Avenue. Click for map. Located in front of Douglas Elementary School, which is named for Douglas. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1500 N Carlyle Ave, Tyler TX 75702, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Colonel Bryan Marsh / Texas Civil War Manufacturing (approx. ĺ mile away); Goodman Home, 1857 (approx. ĺ mile away); Tyler Tap Railroad (approx. 0.8 miles away); Yarbrough Building (approx. one mile away); Smith County as a 19th Century Legal Center (approx. 1.1 miles away); 1881 Smith County Jail Henry Miller Morgan (approx. 1.1 miles away); a different marker also named Henry Miller Morgan (approx. 1.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Tyler.
More about this marker. The granite marker is deteriorating slightly and is difficult to read.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. This page has been viewed 113 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Randal B. Gilbert of Tyler, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.